Australia has the highest uptake of solar globally, with rooftop solar PV being on 30% of Australian homes. As of 31 July 2021, more than 2.8 million rooftop solar power systems have been installed across the country. This demand has also seen an increased call for solar panel protection. Homeowners who have invested several thousands of dollars into solar are unsurprisingly keen to protect their investment from the potential risk of damage due to pest birds.
In this article, we share some information on the harmful effects of pest infestation and how homeowners can better protect their solar panels.
Why should you protect your solar panels?
Solar panels installed on roofs offer a comfortable nesting zone for birds to protect themselves from harsh elements, especially with panels providing warmth and shelter to pigeons, gulls as well as rodents during winter. When birds nest under panels, both their nesting material and movement can lead to electrical wiring damage and pose an electrical or fire hazard. Birds can also tend to roost around panels during the day, covering them with droppings, which in turn significantly reduces panel efficiency.
Most domestic solar systems in Australia are fitted with a central inverter system while some newer systems are fitted with individual micro inverters. Conventional solar panels are connected in series before they are fed into a central inverter. This means that if one panel happens to be covered with bird droppings, overall energy output can be significantly affected and reduced by 40%.
How can you keep away pest birds and rodents from your panels?
To protect solar systems from nesting pigeons, simply exclude all points of entry. There are various products in the market that can achieve this. This includes PVC coated wire meshes that are used to close off panel perimeters. Solar panel bird mesh can be secured using fastening rods that clip on the L bracket of the underside frame and tightened with a fastening disc.
What factors should be considered when purchasing solar panel protection?
- Durability: Mesh and fasteners need to withstand UV exposure.
- Ease of installation: Fastening rods should penetrate through the mesh to hook onto the frame.
- Durability of secure fasteners: Fastening discs that are made from metal often slide and come loose when nesting pigeons try to push against the mesh.
How is VEXO different from competitors’ products?
- Other products use galvanised steel for their mesh which will eventually rust after a couple of years or sooner in the case of coastal properties.
- Our solar panel mesh does not leave behind scratches on your panels as they are coated in PVC.
- Our nylon fasteners are far more secure than any other products, offering consumers peace of mind that once installed their mesh barrier will not come off within a few years.
Why choose VEXO
- Our products are custom-made and of the highest quality. They are rigorously controlled and tested. VEXO solar mesh uses 304 stainless steel to add greater durability.
- Tried-and-tested solution that requires little to no maintenance.
- Can be easily removed for servicing or replacement of panels. Simply cut the nylon fastening disc and remove the clip to release the mesh.
- We are a leading supplier of solar panel bird deterrent mesh with over 30 years’ experience. We design and manufacture fasteners in-house, allowing us to produce better quality products.
- Kits are all inclusive and simple to DIY. All you need is safe access and a pair of snips.
- We are an established brand that is trusted worldwide. Our wholesale bird netting solutions are used across the world in the US, Canada, Europe, and Japan.
- Guaranteed peace of mind for business owners and occupants. Our trusted network of installers are available to assist you, even in areas where access is challenging.
- We offer a 6-year product warranty.
- VEXO is widely available at stockists and product installers.
Are you looking for cost-effective solar panels bird mesh or bird proofing kits? For over 30 years, VEXO has been the pioneer and leader in solar panel bird protection solutions, effectively keeping away birds and other pests. Get in touch with our experts today to protect your property as well as those who live and work in it!